Wednesday 27 March 2013

Makeup #1: Staples



I've been going to a lot of job interviews lately and they require a certain style of makeup: clean, conservative and 'barely there'. It's also very handy that that is the easiest and my most preferred method of doing my face. In this post you will find the products that are my 'makeup staples', a bit of a review and a bit of a comparison with products I wish I had. 


This may not come as a surprise but in case you hadn't noticed already, I am a big, big fan of Clinique makeup and skin products. There is something about the brand that, initially, made me place my trust in their fine products. I've had problem skin since a young age and have always felt wary about straying away from what I know works and doesn't cause any unnecessary issues for me.  I think it was about two years ago that I converted to Clinique and it will take a heck of a lot of persuading for me to try anything different.




The first product you see is Clinique's Line Smoothing Concealer which is the first proper concealer I've actually ever used. I bought it in Light 02 as I have pale-as-snow skin and it does a fairly decent job - I definitely recommend if you're in the market to cover those lines around your eyes
. I think I will expand my concealer horizon when I exhaust this tube and there are other Clinique products that I have my eyes on. 


After applying that I move onto my foundation which is, surprisingly, also by Clinique. Their
Anti-blemish Solutions is a product that convinced me that Clinique were a superior brand. This shade is Fresh Alabaster 01 and is again, as pale as they go. I will definitely be repurchasing this product when it runs out. The coverage is exceptional, the colour just right and it lasts all day/night when necessary. However, when I do I will also be in the market for their Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder as I feel I could definitely do with another layer just for extra-long lasting wear. 

The next line up of products you see is my very basic, yet effective, eye routine. First, I line the inner-top line of my lashes and the outer-top line as well. I use Clinique's (yes, Clinique again) Cream Shaper for Eyes in Black Diamond for this. I tend not to line my bottom water line because of the ease with which it wears off - not cool at all. I then line my lash line with Maybelline's Line Stiletto liquid eyeliner. I must admit it is not my choice pick of eye liners as its wear is not very long. I am waiting till it runs out to try the improved Master Precise also by Maybelline. I then give my lashes a quick (depending on my mood of the day) dose of Australis' Mega Lash Mascara which does its job. I'll admit I purchased it a few months ago on a budget. Hopefully when it reaches the end of its life I'll have enough money to repurchase Clinique's High Impact Mascara which is amazing. 



The next collection of products you'll see are my favourite lip products. They range from as simple as a basic scentless lip balm to a lip liner and lip stick combination. My favourite lip balm that never fails me is Blistex's original Lip Conditioning Balm. I have a tendency to get very dry lips and having this is my bag or nearby is a habit I've had for a long time. 


This next product has been raved about all over the blogosphere and I'm going to continue the trend. Clinique's Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry is such a good compromise between a lip colour and a balm. It does everything a good lip balm should do while staining the lips a deep, yet light, magenta pink. I bought it on a whim whilst perusing the Clinique counter, as I do, and I'm so glad I did as it's been my go to colour when I don't want my lips to be a focus but also need that extra bit of colour on my face. 


And now we are at the last two products of the post. They are perhaps not super appropriate for an interview but they are still subtle enough that if it were a job at the right place, I would still wear them. They are the combination of Illamasqua's medium pencil in Spell and lipstick in Over. I find the deepness of the pencil tones down the brightness of the coral in the lipstick but they still allow each other to be equally beautiful. Illamasqua's lipsticks can tend to be quite drying on the lips but combined with the right balm as a primer and gloss on top can easily be remedied. 

And thats all of my makeup stapels, folks. I hope you enjoyed it and perhaps have feedback on some of the products I've said I wanted or on any of those I already have. Let me know!

Erin xx

2 comments:

  1. Nothing to do with the fact that your immediate female ancestor is a Clinique fan?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...