Sunday 2 March 2014

Monthly Round-Up | February

Eat and Drink
Timber Cabin and Coffee House, Stones Corner


Nestled away in the blossoming Stones Corner, previously known as Green Door Cafe, Timber Cabin and Coffee House has recently had a makeover appropriate for its extension into the bar scene. Opening in the evenings Thursday through Sunday, Timber is a cool place to chill out and soak up some cabin vibes with tasty bites to eat and delicious beverages. If you're a fan of Mojitos they have a great two-for-one deal on Thursday evenings but if not they do a whole range of fancy cocktails and stock beers by my favourite Burleigh Brewing Company.

If you're looking for a new place to frequent and are Brisbane south side bound, look no further than Timber. 

Read
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb

In a similar fashion to my favourite books last month, I have again become enamoured with the story of an inspirational woman. I Am Malala is the autobiography, aided by internationally celebrated foreign correspondent Christina Lamb, of campaigner for education, Malala Yousafzai. 

This is a simple yet elegant retelling of a short but inspired and determined life, Malala is but 16 years of age. Shot by the Taliban after many years of standing up for the education that herself and her peers in Pakistan deserved, Malala was the youngest nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize in history. 

Malala retells her memories of the Taliban's beginnings and the ramifications of the state and global response to the situation. The beautiful part of her story is the mature, rational perspective she has for someone so young. Her dedication to education for all whilst being persecuted by the Taliban is inspirational. 

This book brings a refreshing perspective into a segment of modern society so heavily covered by the media. Highly recommend this gripping autobiography. 

Listen
London Grammar 
Continually late to the music game in the last year or so, I have only recently discovered London Grammar. In a muddled way they are makers of smooth, soulful trip-hop that can't decide if its awake or asleep. With vocals reminiscent of Florence Welch I was hooked from the beginning of their debut If You Wait. The first track, Hey Now, is heartbreakingly simple and is a super stripped back emotional anthem. Put on some quality headphones and spin some London Grammar.




Beauty
I feel weird including a deodorant in my favourites but this is definitely a discovery for me this month. I've been on a hunt for an unscented but long lasting and effective antiperspirant and this Clinical Protection by Rexona Women does just that. However, as much as I enjoy this product it is quite pricey at $11 for a product that is nearly empty after a month of use. I will probably buy this product again but still keep my eyes out for cheaper and equally as effective alternatives. 


This product is not new to me in February but its frequent use is. I went through a long phase of not painting my nails because they are quite flaky and chip so easily. So, after purchasing this it did not get a huge amount of use and the ability to prove itself. I won't say that it is chip proof (nothing on my nails is) but I will say it is very fast drying and even protects your nails from creases that fresh paint gets whilst sleeping. Having been recently more inspired to paint my nails more often this product has had a chance to shine. 

If you're looking for a fast drying and fairly strong top coat then I definitely recommend this which is fairly affordable in Priceline; definitely not over priced.

And thats a wrap on my monthly round-up for February. If you've enjoyed any of these or have recommendations for me, tell me in the comments. 

Erin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...